In mathematics you don't
understand things. You just get used to them.
-- John von Neumann, Nobel Prize winner.
- Time and Place: 5:00-6:15 pm TR at 516 Smith Hall.
- Instructor: Peter Saveliev (please, call me Peter)
- Office: Smith Hall 741A
- Office Hours: TR 12:15-2:00, 3:30-4:30 (tentative), or by appointment, or any
time I am there (usually in the afternoon)
- Office Phone: x64639
- Home Phone: 697-7827 (9 a.m. - 8 p.m.)
- Class Web-Page:
- Text: Calculus Two. Linear and Nonlinear
Functions by F.J. Flanigan and J.L. Kazdan
- Chapter 6-7. Scalar functions
- Chapter 8. Vector
- Chapter 9. Integration
- Chapter 10. Vector integrals
- Chapters1-3. Algebra and geometry of the n-dim space
Chapter 4. Curves
Goals: familiarity with the vector calculus and
- quizzes (open book) + possibly
some take home homework: 40%
- 2 exams (open book): 15% each
- final exam: 30%
- Letter Grades: A: 90-100, B: 80-89, C: 70-79, D: 60-69, F: <60
Related: Math 691. Differential geometry, aka
Introduction to differential forms.