In mathematics you don't
understand things. You just get used to them.
-- John von Neumann, Nobel Prize winner.
- Time and Place: 5:00-6:15 pm MW at 509 Smith Hall.
- Instructor: Peter Saveliev (call me Peter)
- Office: 778F Smith Hall (in the alley)
- Office Hours: TR 3-6 (tentative), or by appointment, or any
time I am there (usually in the afternoon)
- Office Phone: x4639
- Home Phone: 697-7827 (9 a.m. - 8 p.m.)
email@example.com (put Math
491 as the subject)
- Class Web-Page:
Introductory algebraic topology.
of linear algebra as well as some fundamentals of group theory (Math 450),
in particular, quotient groups, properties of Abelian groups, and examples.
Kaczynski, et al
- Short Description: Cubical sets and cubical
homology. Simplicial complexes and simplicial homology. Homology of maps.
Degree theory. Fixed points. Applications: Image processing and recognition;
Structure of proteins; Topology of data structures; Topology of networks;
Computational topology. Handout
- Grade Breakdown:
- weekly assignments: 30%
- midterm: 20%
- final presentation: 20%
- final exam/essay/project: 30%
- Letter Grades: A: 90-100, B: 80-89, C: 70-79, D: 60-69, F: <60