In mathematics you don't
understand things. You just get used to them.
-- John von Neumann, Nobel Prize winner.
- Time and Place: 5 pm MW at 509 Smith Hall.
- Instructor: Peter Saveliev (call me Peter)
- Office: 778F Smith Hall (in the alley)
- Office Hours: MW 1:30-4:30, or by appointment, or any
time I am there (usually in the afternoon)
- Office Phone: x4639
- Home Phone: 697-7827 (9 a.m. - 8 p.m.)
firstname.lastname@example.org (put Math
690 as the subject)
- Class Web-Page:
- Prerequisites: MTH 300 and MTH 450.
Topology of Surfaces by Kinsey.
- Short Description: First course in topology.
Basics of point-set topology: topological spaces, continuity, connectedness,
compactness, products, quotients. Surfaces and simplicial complexes, Euler
characteristics. Introductory algebraic topology: simplicial homology, the
fundamental group. Knots, if time permits.
- Evaluation: 2 tests, final exam, weekly
- Grade Breakdown:
- homework: 40%
- 2 exams: 15% each
- final exam: 30%
- Letter Grades: A: 90-100, B: 80-89, C: 70-79, D: 60-69, F: <60