In mathematics you don't
understand things. You just get used to them.
-- John von Neumann, Nobel Prize winner.
- Time and Place: 5 pm MW at 513 Smith Hall.
- Instructor: Peter Saveliev (call me Peter)
- Office: 778F Smith Hall (in the alley)
- Office Hours: TR 1:30-4:30 (tentative), or by appointment, or any
time I am there (usually in the afternoon)
- Office Phone: x4639
- Home Phone: 697-7827 (9 a.m. - 8 p.m.)
firstname.lastname@example.org (put Math
450 as the subject)
- Class Web-Page:
the ability to understand and write proofs.
Contemporary Abstract Algebra by Gallian
- Goals: good familiarity with groups,
ability to work in the definition-theorem-proof format, some "mathematical
- Evaluation: 2 tests, final exam, weekly homework,
- Grade Breakdown:
- homework + quizzes: 40%
- 2 exams: 15% each
- final exam: 30%
- Letter Grades: A: 90-100, B: 80-89, C: 70-79, D: 60-69, F: <60
|MTH 450 - 3 - Modern Algebra I
|Structure of the abstract mathematical systems: fields,
rings, groups, with illustrations and applications from number theory.
(PR: MTH 230 ; REC: MTH 300)