In mathematics you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
-- John von Neumann, Nobel Prize winner.
- Time and Place: TR 5:00-6:15, MW 5:30-6:20 at 516 Smith Hall
- Instructor: Peter Saveliev (call me Peter)
- Office: 756 Smith Hall (under the clock)
- Office Hours: W 2:00-5:30, TR 2:00-4:00, or by appointment, or any
time I am there
- Office Phone: x4639
- Home Phone: 697-7827 (9 a.m. - 8 p.m.)
email@example.com (put Math 127 as the subject)
- Class Web-Page: http:\\saveliev.net, then go to Math 127.
- Prerequisites: solid algebra skills, some knowledge of Cartesian coordinates, familiarity with basic functions
- Texts: College Algebra by Bittinger, Beecher, Ellenbogen,
Penna, Graphing Calculator Manual, Web supplement
www.awl.com/BBEP with password in new
- Computer Requirements: graphic calculator TI-83 or TI-83+.
- Goals: understanding of functions, good familiarity with major
classes of functions, function operations, graphing, solving equations -- being
prepared for the calculus sequence
- Group Problems: due weekly (please, staple!), last day of the week unless specified otherwise
- Quizzes: based on the practice problems assigned daily, once or twice a week
- Grade Breakdown: TOTAL=.25*HW+.15*E1+.15*E2+.15*E3+.30*FINAL
group problems + quizzes: 25% (1-2 quizzes may be dropped)
3 exams: 15% each
final exam: 30%
- Letter Grades: A: 90-100, B: 80-89, C: 70-79, D: 60-69, F: <60
From the Catalogue:
127 College Algebra - Expanded Version. 5 hrs.
A brief but careful review of the main techniques of algebra. Polynomial,
rational, exponential, and logarithmic functions. Graphs, systems of equations
and inequalities, sequences. (PR: MAT 097 or Math ACT 19 or 20)
Assignment #1 (10 points):
- Go to saveliev.net, then go to
the class page.
- Read the Course Policy.
- Try to set up a group (3-4 members) by Friday, then e-mail the list to me.
For this purpose you can use the list of students. If you don't have a
group you'll be assigned to a group at random.
- Visit my office during the next two weeks to introduce yourself.